Podcasts are one of the most popular forms of media over the internet. You can find millions of successful podcasting services that provides regular updates on a variety of niche topics. If you haven’t already jumped onto the podcast bandwagon then this is the right time to do so! Follow our short guide to podcasts and learn how to start listening to interesting podcasts today!
What is a Podcast?
Let’s start with answering the most basic question that pops-up in your mind when you hear ‘podcast’. A podcast is a free audio program distributed over the Internet by different producers. You as a listener have the option to choose the podcasts that interest you and download them. Consider podcasts as creating your own customized radio station that plays the content you choose. Since you’re choosing the programs that interest you, it’s easy to swap programs to your liking. The best part of podcasts is it will open a window of opportunity for you to learn and grow as a person or as a business professional.
Where to Find a Podcast?
Like anything over the Internet, podcasts are easy to find and download. To find and maintain your podcasts you will need a Podcast Manager. They are available for download on desktops, smartphones, and any other electronic devices. iTunes is currently one of the top ranking podcast managers that you can find. It works on Macs and iPhone but it can easily work on a windows PC. Itunes stores have a large variety of free podcasts. Other podcasts managers that work on multiple platforms including Android are:
- Pocket Casts
Podcasts managers provide similar functions and customization options. You can choose the one that fits your requirements and device settings flawlessly.
Do Podcasts Have Ads?
Podcasts are a popular media form over the internet and since millions of people are producing top quality content, the only way for them to earn from their hard work is through ad revenue. So, Yes podcasts do have ads but you can choose to opt for an ad-free premium account to get to your favorite podcasts without interrupting ads. On average there are over 525,000 active podcast shows with over 18.5 million episodes. With such a massive number of content producers, podcasts are the perfect way to earn advertisement-based revenue. It also makes a perfect promotional tool if you’re looking to advertise your brand.
The Top Podcasts of 2018
In 2018 we saw several incidents and events that broke the internet and podcasting world. Some of them have made to our top podcast list of 2018. Our top picks from 2018 are:
- Slow Burn: A podcast that focuses on Bill Clinton’s impeachment is one of the most downloaded podcasts in 2018
- In the Dark: A Pea-body winning podcast the producers investigates a case of a black man who was prosecuted over six times for the same murder.
- 30 for 30 Bikram Yoga Scandal: The popular podcast by ESPN’s 30 for 30 changed its format from sports to discuss in detail Bikram Yogas’ #Metoo scandal.
- Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness: a very interesting podcast with unique and different content will leave you in awe.
- Caught: The Lives of Juvenile Justice: A Podcast about juvenile prisoners with heart-wrenching stories of their ordeal.